POWr Social Media Icons

Tuesday, 9 December 2014

† Health † Consider the caterpillar- Motivation to eat healthy


In nowadays society, it's easy to lose sight of what we eat and what is presented to us as normal food. This is one of the biggest reason why we have an obesity epidemic- the foods in the supermarket are deceptively fat-laden, and even "raw" food such as meat or celery has been fiddled with to make it more appealing (pure oxygen is pumped into packaged meat at super markets, to make it seem redder; this speeds up the rotting process). This overwhelming presence of dangerously unhealthy foods definitely makes eating healthy very difficult, especially with MSG (Monosodium glutamate) in almost every packaged food we eat. 

To help me get past what seems like a gargantuan task, I like to think of a caterpillar. Just a little guy, newly hatched out of his egg-pod, with no-one to advise him on what to do, or how to survive. This caterpillar's life, from his birth to his cocooning, is going to resume itself to one chief task: EATING. He needs all those nutrients pumping into his tiny translucent body to gather the strength that will eventually turn him into a butterfly

Note this: at no point does the caterpillar question what he needs to eat, or whether he should eat one thing or another. He goes straight for the food nutritious to him, and eats it as much as he needs to. It doesn't taste worse, or better, than any other food out there, but it's what he knows his body needs to be fit, healthy, and butterfly-friendly. 

Now consider this: do you feel okay being out-smarted by a caterpillar? He can, in his short lifespan, beat any human on this earth at healthy eating. The fact that a little larva knows what's good for him more than a complex human being presents YOU with your chore: Think first, and only, about what you body needs, and not what your mind is telling you you want. I know, easier said than done. But remember the caterpillar! He can do it! And he gets rewarded: he transforms into the most beautiful butterfly, the envy of all the insect kingdom. And you deserve that too. Be the caterpillar, and you will become the butterfly




2 comments:

  1. That's actually an amazing analogy with the caterpillar. I've never thought about it that way, but now I'm sure this is something I'll remember for a very very long time. Many animals tend go to for things because of necessity, and humans do it for pleasure. I'll remember it next time I'm craving unhealthy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you agree! I find that this has really helped me over time, especially when I try and convince myself that "it's not THAT bad though... " :) I'm glad you agree!

      Delete