POWr Social Media Icons

Thursday, 12 March 2015

† Beauty † Wake Me Up concealer by Rimmel review


"The instant cup of coffee for your eyes... oh wait no, they forgot the whipped cream :( "

I'm a die-hard fan of Collection's Lasting Perfection concealer, but after I ran out last week, Rimmel's Wake Me Up concealer caught my eye. I think it was Zoella (not 100% sure) who raved about it a year ago or so, and given that, even if I slept for a year, I wouldn't be able to get rid of the bags under my eyes, "Wake Me Up" as a name was compelling! 

I bought it for £5.49 at Superdrug, so that makes it about £1 more expensive than the Collection concealer. Below is the photo of the bottle, and a swatch on my arm. I would have liked to have had a Collection concealer swatch to compare it to, but as I said above, I ran out (makes sense...)




Firstly, lets address what they advertise it as:
  • "full coverage concealer": I don't find it to be so. It glides on very easily, but then spreads very thinly. Where they say it "Completely conceals spots and other blemishes", I'd disagree. When you apply it to the problem area, it does give the impression that it's going to cover it, but once you blend it in, it's almost like it melts away. 
  • "reawakens and illuminates under the eyes": To a certain extent. What it has is a discreetly shimmery undertone, which could go some ways to provide their "Instant anti-fatigue effect", but I'd personally rather just go for a better coverage concealer and then apply highlighter myself. 
  • "With Peptides and a Vitamin Moisturising complex": YES. It is very moisturizing. As soon as you put it on, you can definitely feel the soothing (especially if you're prone to dry eyes in the morning, like me)
Other factors to consider:
  • Shades: I bought "Ivory" (hurray for my Irish heritage) and it matches my skin tone almost perfectly. If I'm not mistaken (don't hold me to this though) there are four available shades for the concealer. Once I blend it in, it's like it was never there, the colour is discreet and well matched. 
  • Consistency: Unlike Collection's Lasting Perfection concealer, it doesn't feel thick, nor does it dry your skin out. It's a very light texture, almost on the oily side. I wouldn't recommend this concealer to anyone with combination or oily skin, because it does have that moisturizing quality which, especially when I'm going through a greasy patch, goes a step beyond what my poor combination skin can handle. 
  • Lasting effects: I couldn't say. Like I mentioned earlier, it doesn't really hide much, at least not on my skin (and I don't have bad skin by any means) so it is difficult for me to assess how far into the day it lasts. 
Overall, I won't be repurchasing. That said, because I'm a good old broke student, I'll be using this product up, so if I come around to it, if it grows on me, I'll post an update :) 

Peace out xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment